PROGRAM: PHARE 2006 ACCELERATION national strategies for Roma
COMPONENT: GRANT MANAGEMENT SCHEME FOR COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
AREA: VOCATIONAL TRAINING AND INCOME GENERATING ACTIVITIES
1. Professional training, recognition of acquired skills through training and support for Roma income generating activities
General description of the project
The project aimed at improving the quality of life of members of the Roma community in Medgidia, Constanta County, in order to include social members of the target community by resolving the situation of professional qualification. This project is part of a Roma social integration program in Medgidia.
Within the project, the emphasis was on the professional training of the Roma, in construction trades and other trades useful to the Roma community. The registration of Roma people in this project was made following a selection made by the representatives of the Medgidia City Hall and the partner involved in the project, the “Dobrogea” Association – League of Deportees from the Second World War.
The present project aimed at qualifying a number of 45 Roma people in the trades sought on the labor market. The qualification courses, as well as the solutions for hiring Roma people for their employment in income-generating activities, were the subject of this project. Thus, it was aimed that Roma people, qualified in these trades to actively participate in the implementation of two other projects included in the program, namely the construction of 10 social housing for members of the Roma community and their infrastructure (arrangement of access roads, extension of network water supply and sewerage network) in an area inhabited by Roma.
The following equipment was purchased within the project:
– Modular metal scaffolding and specific equipment for exterior thermal insulation of buildings;
– 4 sewing machines that will be distributed to the people who attended tailoring courses;
– A container module with the destination of hairdresser, properly arranged and equipped.
The expected results following the implementation of the project are:
45 professionally trained persons, fit for employment, as follows:
1. 10 masons;
2. 10 painters;
3. 10 carpenters (with skills and PVC and aluminum carpentry workers);
4. 8 cleaning agents (women – 5 with washing skills and 3 with ironing skills)
5. 3 seamstresses;
6. 4 barber shops.
– 8 jobs for qualified craftsmen in the field of constructions who will benefit from the modular metal scaffolding and the specific equipment for the external thermal insulation of the buildings;
– 3 hairdressers-hairdressers, who will benefit from the container module, also purchased within the project and who will obtain income from practicing the profession;
– 4 seamstresses who will benefit from the 4 sewing machines purchased within the project and who will obtain income from practicing the trade.
How the project improved the situation of the target groups:
This project aims to contribute to raising the standard of living and social integration of members of the Roma community in Medgidia, who were at risk of social exclusion.
Thus, the estimated effects of the project will be manifested by:
1. Decreasing the resistance to change of the target group, integration in the social system, in lucrative groups, as a result of the skills obtained from training.
2. Increasing the living standard of the members of the Roma community. Given that Roma families in general are numerous, ensuring a secure income obtained by at least one family member will have beneficial effects on the whole family, which will allow the creation of decent living conditions.
3. The prospects of a secure income as well as the awareness of the advantages offered by the training will have as an effect the improvement of the educational life. Thus, the Roma in the community will respond much better to the educational programs promoted by the authorities.
4. Access to the services of the public health system of Roma families whose members are engaged in productive activities
5. Decreased antisocial phenomena among the Roma population, as a result of increased training and employment opportunities in income-generating productive activities.
6. Increasing trust in local public institutions and the partner NGO, the “Dobrogea” Association – League of Deportees from the Second World War.
7. The creation of nuclei within the Roma community which, through good practice, will be examples for the other members of the community.
8. At individual level, the participants will acquire and practice new communication skills and knowledge that will contribute decisively to the increase of the efficiency of their work and of the work formations of which they are part but also an extra chance of socio-professional reintegration.
Total value of the project: 67,866 Euro
Duration: January 2009 – November 2010
2. Small infrastructure for the area allocated to the construction of social housing for 10 Roma families in Medgidia Municipality – Constanta county
Total value of the project: 214,852 Euro
Duration: January 2009 – November 2010
The project developed by the Medgidia Local Council, Constanţa County, in partnership with the NGO Dobrogea Association-League of Deportees from the Second World War, has a budget of 214,852 Euros, of which the contribution of the European Union and the Romanian Government is 193,366 Euros and aims to build two homes and provide utilities and access to the entire area allocated by Medgidia City Hall for the construction of social housing, whose beneficiaries will be members of the Roma community in Medgidia.
Within the project, 6 Roma people started a professional training program in construction trades. They are part of the 10 families without material possibilities, who have been selected to benefit from new homes, which will ensure them decent living conditions.
Medgidia City Hall has assumed the execution of water and sewerage networks and connections for the 10 homes, the access road and other works that can be executed within the Public Services Department, so that, upon their completion, the direct beneficiaries will have all the conditions of a decent life.
The practical activities within the professional training program are carried out under the coordination of the professional training provider, within the Medgidia Public Services Department, which allows the active participation of the students in the construction of their own homes and the afferent infrastructure.
3. Construction of social housing (including small infrastructure) for 8 Roma families from Medgidia-Constanta county ”
Total value of the project: 239,620 Euro
Duration: January 2009 – November 2010
Medgidia Local Council, Constanţa County, in partnership with the Dobrogea Association-League of Deportees from the Second World War, is carrying out the project entitled “Construction of social housing for 8 Roma families in Medgidia – Constanţa County”.
The project has a budget of 239,620 Euros, of which the contribution of the European Union and the Government of Romania is 200,000 Euros and aims to contribute to the social integration of the Roma in Medgidia.
An important step in carrying out the project was the selection of the 8 Roma families who will benefit from decent living conditions, in a new house, but also from professional training that will offer them a real chance to access the labor market. The selection of the 8 families was made by a commission composed of representatives of the Medgidia Local Council, and of the partner NGO based on criteria established by mutual agreement.
Each member of each of the eight selected families will follow a professional training program as a result of which they will acquire skills in practicing occupations that will facilitate their access to the labor market, which will greatly contribute to the social integration of families.
The 8 beneficiary families of the houses, supported by other members of the local community, will actively participate in the construction works, through voluntary actions organized by the representatives of the NGO – partner in the project. All these activities will be supported by the Medgidia City Hall and will have the effect of significantly reducing the social marginalization of Roma members in Medgidia.